Assumed Names (DBA)
According to the Business and Commerce Code, Section 36.10 and 36.15, each person who regularly conducts business or renders professional services other than as a corporation, limited partnership, registered limited partnership, or limited liability company in the county must file its Assumed Name Certificate (also known as DBA or Doing Business As) with the clerk so that a record is available as to the owner’s businesses. Assumed Name Certificates must be filed according to these guidelines:
- An Assumed Name Certificate must be filed to begin a business.
- Assumed Name Certificates are good for 10 years.
- An Assumed Name Certificate must be filed in the county where you plan to conduct business.
- An applicant may have more than one (1) Assumed Name.
- There may be more than one (1) registrant per Assumed Name.